K2 Update: Summit Bids Aborted!


K2Climb.net is reporting this morning that summit bids on K2 have been aborted due to continued bad weather. The combined team of Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner, Ralf Dujmovits, David Göttler and Daniel Bartsch were attempting the Cesen Route, but abandoned their climb due to heavy fog on the mountain.

Teams on the Abruzzi Spur also abandoned their attempt as well, with the thick fog preventing them from even moving up to Camp 4. All the teams have retreated to BC this morning, with the hopes of waiting for another weather window soon. At this time, there doesn’t seem to be a solid estimate as to when that window will come.

Several teams will have to now decide if they intend to stay and wait for a better attempt at the summit or if they will pack it in, and head home. The Karakorum season will begin to wind down soon, and with uncertain weather on K2, it’s difficult to know when or even if, another opportunity will come.

1 thought on “K2 Update: Summit Bids Aborted!”

Comments are closed.