We’re still several months away from the start of the spring climbing season on Everest, and yet the “Big Hill” is never far from our thoughts. Case in point, earlier this week the Adventure Journal posted an article that lists “16 Interesting Things About Everest,” with some truly surprising facts making the list.
Of course, I don’t want to give away too much of what AJ shared on the list, but to give you just a hint of what to expect here are a couple of the items that made the list:
• On May 27, 2006, Lakpa Tharke Sherpa summited Mt. Everest, then took off all his clothes and stood naked for three minutes in an attempt to set a world record.
While people are always flocking to Everest to set some kind of new record (a teenager recently set a record for the highest altitude game of Call of Duty in Everest Base Camp), taking your clothes off on the summit seems like a truly bad idea. It is crazy “records” like this one that continue to create a circus like atmosphere around the world’s highest peak.
• A Nepalese couple, Moni Mule Pati and Pem Dorjee Sherpa, were married on the summit in 2004.
All that said, this is one Everest stunt I can get behind. Can you imagine getting married on the summit of the tallest mountain in the world? It would be difficult to top those wedding photos. Of course, you wouldn’t have too many guests joining you for the ceremony, but the celebration back in Base Camp was probably outstanding!
These are just a couple of the fun facts that Adventure Journal shares in this article. If you haven’t had your Everest fix in awhile, then click here to see what other interesting items they shared.
- A Hiker Had to be Rescued Just 3 Miles into an Epic Long-Distance Trek - June 17, 2021
- Journey from California to Hawaii Becomes a Nightmare for Kayaker - June 10, 2021
- China Bans Ultramarathons Following Tragedy on the Trail - June 8, 2021