Last fall, ski mountaineer Kit Deslauriers was in Nepal to climb the 8485-meter (27,838 feet) Makalu when she became ill with High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE). Seeking some relief, she descended to Yangri Kharka, a village located at 3657 meters (12,000 feet). While there, a local family took her into their home, allowing her to recover before returning to the mountain. While there, the family shared their food, making several meals a day inside their cramped house. While watching them in the kitchen, Kit noticed that dangerous levels of smoke were created, choking the small space with unhealthy fumes. That left her wondering what could be done to combat this serious issue.
- A Hiker Had to be Rescued Just 3 Miles into an Epic Long-Distance Trek - June 17, 2021
- Journey from California to Hawaii Becomes a Nightmare for Kayaker - June 10, 2021
- China Bans Ultramarathons Following Tragedy on the Trail - June 8, 2021