Continuing the new regular post that I first launched last week, I have another round-up of travel news and deals, adventure stories, and other inspiring bits that may be of interest to regular readers. Each week I get far too many emails, press releases, and notes to share on the website, so I thought it would be great to share some of the more interesting ones in a round-up at the end of the week. Here’s what crossed by desk over the past seven days:
- Goal Zero is Giving Away a Trip to South Africa: Want to go to South Africa this year? Goal Zero is looking to make that dream a reality for one lucky person. The company is giving away a trip to Cape Town that includes airfare, accommodations, a Sherpa 100AC Power Bank to keep your gadgets charged, and hiking boots from Salomon. To enter, just click here.
- Guyana Names Top Destination for Ecotourism: At the ITB Global Travel Trade Fair in Berlin, the South American country of Guyana walked away with some impressive accolades, including being named the number 1 destination in the world for ecotourism. The country is only now starting to ramp up activities to lure foreign visitors, offering an array of soft and active adventures for those looking for a new destination to explore.
- Livability Announces Best Places to Live in the U.S. for 2019: Livability.com has announced its list of the very best places to live in the U.S., taking into account such factors as economics, housing, amenities, education, health care, and a number of other variables. For than 1000 cities were sacked up against one another, and then ranked from 1 to 100. Which city came out on top? You’ll have to click here to find out.
- AdventureSmith Offer $1200 Savings on Alaska Cruises: Small-ship cruise operator AdventureSmith is gearing up for the 2019 cruise season in Alaska by offering travelers a $1200 savings per couple on select departures for the year ahead. If you’ve ever wanted to take a cruise in the part of the world, this is a great opportunity. Just don’t do it on a big ship, as you’ll miss out on much of the adventure.
- AirCruise Offers Unique African Adventure: For a completely different kind of “cruise” check out the latest itinerary from a company called AirCruise. In this case, you’ll be using a private plane to explore parts of Africa. The 18-day Pearls of Africa option sends you on a seven country odyssey that includes Morocco, Tanzania, South Africa, and a host of other destinations. Price? $57,300.
- Rapha Offers Cutom Cycling Apparel: If you’re looking for a way to stand out on your next ride or bike race, check out Rapha’s custom apparel tool. With this option, you get to choose a blank canvas in the form of plain Rapha clothing, then choose the colors and designs to meet your needs. It takes about 8 weeks to get the custom gear sent your way, but the is an affordable way to outfit a team or just put your own signature on the gear you wear.
- AKASO Releases Affordable 4K Action Camera: Looking to make action videos of your outdoor adventures but don’t have the cash to spend on a GoPro? This week, a company called AKASO released a new 4K action camera on Amazon that is waterproof, has a touchscreen interface, takes 16MP photos, can be controlled remotely, and has onboard image stabilization. All of that at the wallet friendly price of $75.
- Snow Peak Announces Dates for 2019 Outdoor Festival: Japanese outdoor gear manufacturer Snow Peak has announced the U.S. dates for its 2019 Snow Peak Way festival. The event, which offers attendees a mix of product demos, inspiring conversations, camping, and other activities, will take place May 31-June 2 in Beacon Rock State Park near Stevenson, Washington. Tickets go on sale March 15.
- Garage Grown Gear is Giving Away Stuff!: Garage Grown Gear has launched its Thru-Hiking Giveaway with more than $4000 in gear and products being offered up to winners. Three winners will walkaway with some impressive prize packages that include backpacks, sleeping bags and pads, trail snacks, shoes, and a lot more. This is a great way to get stocked up for backpacking season.
That’s all for this week. More adventure and travel quickies next Friday.