On Friday of each week I do a round-up of outdoor and adventure travel stories that I didn’t have time to share elsewhere. These “quickies” may include links to other articles that piqued my interest over the past few days or they could include gear reviews, travel deals, and stories of interesting endeavors from around the globe. Here are the things that came across my desk over the past week that are worth a look:
- Archaeologist Stumped by Pre-Columbian Spanish Coin in Utah: Every once in awhile we come across something strange that simply shouldn’t be where we found it. Such was the case for one hiker who discovered some very gold coins while walking a trail in Utah. How old you ask? One of them appears to date back to the 13th century. In other words, before Columbus ever sailed to the New World. Interesting indeed!
- Emperor Penguin Colony Vanishes in Antarctica: The collapse of a major ice shelf in the Antarctic has led to a “catastrophic breeding failure” amongst emperor penguins at what was once the second largest colony of that species on the planet.
- The Lazy Runner’s Guide to Preparing for a Marathon: Want to run a marathon, but don’t want to obsess about it? You’re in luck, as our friends at Suunto have put together the Lazy Runner’s Guide for preparing for a race to help you get ready.
- The Tech Behind Hoka’s New Hiking Boots: With the release of the new Sky Kaha, Hoka One One has jumped into the hiking footwear market in a big way. Learn what they are doing differently in this article from my friends at Gear Institute.
- Grand Canyon Lodge to Get $30 Million Make Over: This week Xanterra Travel Collection announced that it as giving the Maswik South Lodging along the Grand Canyon’s South Rim a major upgrade, investing more than $30 million in the property. Upgrades will include private balconies, internal entrances, and the addition of kitchenettes to some of the rooms.
- REI Adventures Offers Cycling Trips: Mountain bikers and road cyclists looking for new places to ride may want to check out the itineraries being offered by REI Adventures. Options include rides through South Africa, Tuscany, Death Valley, and numerous other places.
- Austin Adventurers Launches New Independent Travel Options: Montana-based Austin Adventures has announced a new option for those who like to travel independently. The Austin Concierge will allow travelers to custom build an itinerary to meet their schedule and personal needs, allowing them to go at their own pace and explore destinations in their own unique ways.
- Hyperlite Mountain Gear Debuts New Backpack: Hyperlite Mountain Gear is known for its incredibly lightweight gear that is designed with ultralight hikers in mind. This week the company took the wraps off its latest backpacks introducing the Northrim 3400 and 4400 models. The packs offer 55L and 70L of storage respectively, with the 3400 weighing just 1.9 pounds (,86 kg) and the 4400 tipping the scales at 2.4 pounds (1 kg). Prices start at $410.
That’s all for this week. More to come next Friday!
- Gear Review: Yeti Roadie 48 Wheeled Cooler - August 18, 2022
- Kristin Harila Continues Pursuit of 8000-Meter Speed Record - August 16, 2022
- Two Expeditions are Attempting the Northwest Passage This Summer - August 11, 2022