It has been a very busy week. I’m just home from the 2019 Summer Outdoor Retailer convention and playing catch-up on my email inbox and everything else that went down while I was away. As usual, there was way too much to share and not enough time and space to do it. But these are your Adventure Quickies for the week, with some of the top gear news, adventure stories, and travel deals that you should be aware of.
- Arc’teryx Launches Used Gear Program: This past week outdoor gear manufacturer Arc’teryx unveiled its Rock Solid Gear program, which allows customers to trade in their old gear for credit that can be used to purchase new items. Items that are traded in are evaluated for value and reconditioned to be resold at a discount online, with gift cards good for Arc’teryx gear being used to the seller. You can learn more about the program here.
- Yeti Opens Second Retail Store, More to Come: Rugged cooler manufacturer Yeti has opened its second retail store. The company first launched its retail efforts in Austin, TX a few years back but has now expanded to Charleston, SC as well. The new outlet opened its doors last week and it looks like there will be more Yeti storefronts to follow. Plans are afoot to open retail space in Denver, Chicago, and other locations soon.
- Colorado Couple Make Peakbagging an Art Form: If you think you enjoy bagging peaks in the mountains, than you need to meet John and Alyson Kirk. The husband and wife climbing team have summited every Colorado peak over 11,000 feet (3352 meters), including 53 14ers, 584 13ers, 676 12ers, and 468 11ers. This year, they hope to finish up their attempt on the 10,000-foot mountains too, which add another 530 summits to their resume. Outside Online has posted a profile of the Kirks that you can read here.
- BestHike.com Gets a New Paint Job: One of my favorite websites has always been BestHike.com, which is diligently updated and maintained by my friend Rick McCharles. Recently, Rick gave the site a fresh new update that brings improved navigation, a clean design ascetic, and more. If you have questions about any major hiking trail in the world, chances are BestHike can give you the answers. Give it a look here.
- Nat Geo Announces 2019 Travel Photo Winners: National Geographic has announced the winners of its 2019 Travel Photography competition. As you would expect, the entires are all stunning and will make you question your own skills at taking photos. Some of the shots are too surreal for words, blending color, light, and composition seamlessly. I think I need a better camera.
- Quark Expeditions has the Arctic On Sale: If you’ve always wanted to visit the Arctic but found that it was a bit outside of your price range, than I have some good news for you. Quark Expeditions is offering an amazing sale on last-minute departures to the top of the world this summer. Prices are so good in fact that you could save as much as 50% off the regular price. Find out more here.
- AFAR Magazine Launches 2019 Travelers Choice Awards: The incredibly beautiful and well-written travel magazine AFAR has launched its 2019 Travelers Choice Awards program. The annual survey gives travelers the chance to weigh in on their favorite destinations, tour operators, and more. Voting is open until July 17, so be sure to drop by and share your thoughts soon.
- Odyssey Travel Launches New Safari Selection Tool: If you’re looking to book an African safari in the future, you may want to have a look at the new Odyssey Explorer tool from Odyssey Travel. The web-app makes it easier than ever to plan your itinerary, discover new options and destinations, and generally just dream about an African safari. Who doesn’t want to do that after all?
That’s all for this week. I’ll have another edition of Adventure Quickies next Friday.
- 21-Year Old Briton Becomes Youngest Woman to Row the Atlantic - February 24, 2021
- Wolverine ShiftPlus Polar Range Boa is Made for Your Winter Adventure - February 17, 2021
- Wallet Lost in Antarctica 53 Years Ago Returned to Owner - February 9, 2021