Each week there are far too many stories that come through my inbox and across my desk to ever find room to post about. In order to share a few more of those items with readers I post a selection of “Adventure Quickies” each Friday to help keep everyone informed. These quickies usually include a brief description of the story, along with a link where you can find out more. This week, we have quite a bit to share, so here are some things you might find of interest.
- Last Overland Journey is Underway: Back in June, we shared the story of the Last Overland expedition, which is set to recreate the iconic 1955 Land Rover journey from Singapore to London using the same Series One (Oxford Edition) vehicle from that era. Earlier this week, that expedition got underway with the team setting out across Asia, although not quite as expected. 87-year old Tim Slessor, who was a part of the original expedition, took ill the night before the start of the excursion and was forced to sit things out, at lest for now. He’s back home in the U.K. recuperating and will join the rest of the team when he’s healthy. Follow along on the Last Overland website.
- Kammock Launches Line of All-Weather Packs: Kammock, the company best known for making hammock camping gear, has launched a line of all-weather packs on Kickstarter. The new Burro Packs come in an 18L Burro Zip backpack, the 26L Burro Roll waterproof backpack, and the 30L Burro Duffel. The crowdfunding campaign is off to a great start as the company has already hit its $90,000 goal in just a few days. Find out more, and reserve one for yourself, here.
- Garmin Introduces Fēnix 6 GPS Watch: Garmin’s Fenix line of GPS watches have been at the forefront of technology for outdoor athletes and explorers for years now and the new Fēnix 6 manages to raise the bar even higher. New features include solar charging to extend battery life, an extended list of sports apps, better heart rate and pulse ox sensors, and much, much more. Prices start at $599 and go up based on features, build, watchband, and so on. My friends at Digital Trends gave it a look here.
- New 100-Mile Running Record Set: Long distance runner Zach Bitters has set a new record for running 100 miles in the shortest time possible. Running at the Six Days in the Dome event, Bitters was able to complete the full century in just 11 hours, 19 minutes, and 13 seconds. That’s averaging 6:48 per mile for a hundred miles, which is impressive indeed.
- Busch and Big Buck Hunter Join Forces for Animal Conservation: It probably goes without saying that drinking beer and hunting deer are not necessarily a great combination. That is, unless you’re drinking Busch and playing Big Buck Hunter in your favorite dive bar. The two companies have joined forces to sell the Big Buck Hunting Permit for $5, with all proceeds going to the National Forest Foundation. Better yet, Busch is matching those contributions dollar for dollar to help fund animal conservation.
- REI Running Big Labor Day Clearance Sale: If you live in the U.S., we’re about to embark on a nice, three-day weekend. To celebrate, gear retailer REI is running a massive sale with up to 40% off a host of outdoor products. Better yet, the “Peak Deals” section has items as much as 50% off as well.
- OutdoorX4 Magazine is Giving Away the ‘Ultimate Overland Experience’: My friends over at OutdoorX4 magazine, along with partner Rawhyde Adventures, are giving away the Ultimate Overland Experience. The prize includes a three-day overland journey via motorcycle or overland van, starting in the Mjohave Desert at Rawhyde HQ. To find out more and sign up, click here.
- Nat Geo and G Adventures Announce New Tours for 2020: Adventure travel company G Adventures and National Geographic have announced eight new additions to their joint National Geographic Journeys collection of trips. New offering include exclusive itineraries through Greece, Ireland, and Singapore. Find out more here.
- Mountain Khakis Sponsors National Wildlife Day at Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary: September 4 is officially National Wildlife Day here in the U.S. and to help celebrate, Mountain Khakis is sponsoring the Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary for the day. That means, everyone who visits on that date will have their entry fee completely paid for by the company. Not only do they make great pants, they also support great causes too. What’s not to love?
That’s all for this week. Back next Friday with more Adventure Quickies.
- The Sylvansport Electric RV is the Motorhome of Our Dreams - September 14, 2021
- Nepali Climbers Open New Trekking Route on Mt. Kilimanjaro - September 9, 2021
- Will the iPhone 13 Double as a Satellite Phone? - September 7, 2021