My “Adventure Quickies” post is suppose to be a weekly round-up of stories that I haven’t had time or space to cover elsewhere on the blog. Considering the current state of affairs though, there hasn’t been much to discuss in general over the past few weeks. Still, here are a few items from the adventure and exploration world that you may have missed in recent days.
- Keen Gives Away 100,000 Pairs of Shoes: Last week I posted a story about how Keen Footwear was taking suggestions from its community on people who were in need and could use a new pair of shoes. At the time, the submission form had been shut down due to some nefarious activity. But the smart minds at Keen figured out how to secure the process and got things back up and running not long after. In less than a week, the company had hit its goal and shipped 100,000 pairs of shoes to those in need around the world. Congrats and a big thank you to my friends at the company.
- ExWeb Lists Funniest Adventure Books: We’re all looking for things to keep us occupied at the moment, and Explorers Web is here to help. The site recently posted a list of the 12 Funniest Adventure Books, with some real classics to add to your library. Options include The Ascent of the Rum Doodle, The Innocents Abroad, and The Sex Lives of Cannibals.
- Global Rescue Launches Coronavirus Intelligence Center: Wondering where you can turn for accurate information about the coronavirus pandemic? Want a clear-cut explanation of symptoms? Need daily updates on the ongoing situation? Global Rescue has launched a Coronavirus Intelligence Center to help us sort through all of those things, and to better understand how the service can help in an emergency.
- IAATO Announces New Executive Director: The International Association of Antarctic Tour Operators (IAATO) has announced the appointment of Gina Greer at its new executive director. She comes with a long history in business and regulatory consulting and strategic development for organizations. She’ll need all of those skills in this role moving forward as IAATO—and every other travel organization—looks to navigate turbulent waters ahead.
- Zenbivvy Invites Us to Deign Our Own Jackets: Zenbivvy, the company behind one of the most comfortable outdoor sleep systems ever, had launched a new product line. This past week, the brand launched a fully customizable down jacket, allowing users to pick sizes from XXS to XXXL in three different fit designs and 21 different color options. Start building your personal jacket here.
- Men’s Journal Picks the 50 Best Whiskeys in the World: Look, we all have to find ways to cope with our current situation. No judgement here. If your cooping mechanisms involve testing some really good whiskeys, we won’t hold it against you. Before you start sipping though, you may want to check out Men’s Journal‘s picks for the 50 Best Whiskeys in the World.
That’s it! Stay safe and we’ll see you next week!
- Gear Review: Yeti Roadie 48 Wheeled Cooler - August 18, 2022
- Kristin Harila Continues Pursuit of 8000-Meter Speed Record - August 16, 2022
- Two Expeditions are Attempting the Northwest Passage This Summer - August 11, 2022