It’s Friday! Which means it is also time for another round of Adventure Quickies. This is my end-of-the-week recap of some stories that you may have missed over the past few days.
- SpaceX and NASA Reschedule Launch: Earlier this week SpaceX and NASA were scheduled to make an historic launch of a the Crew Dragon capsule, taking astronauts from American soil to the International Space Station for the first time in nine years. That launch was scrubbed, but is now scheduled to take place tomorrow, May 30 at 3:22 PM ET. Weather permitting of course, as storms are once again in the forecast.
- Grizzly Bear Attacks Biker in Montana: A mountain biker was attacked earlier this week by a grizzly bear near Big Sky Montana after apparently surprising the bear on the trail. The rider is critical but stable condition after escaping from the creature.
- Missing Backpackers Survive 19 Days in New Zealand Wilderness: A pair of hikers who went missing while out on a backpacking excursion were found alive and in relatively good condition after 19 days in the wilderness. The pair apparently got lost in the fog and couldn’t find their way back to the trailhead.
- Jimmy Chin Shares Advice one Chasing Your Passions: Jimmy Chin knows a thing or two about pursuing his passions and big adventures. He shares some advice on how we can all do that in a piece for Red Bull.
- ExWeb Looks at Colin O’Brady’s ‘Impossible Row’: If you haven’t quite had your fill yet of Colin O’Brady stories and controversy, our friends at ExWeb have taken a look at his recently completed “Impossible Row,” which will be the subject of an upcoming Discovery Channel documentary. The buzz so far isn’t great, although teammates are locked into NDAs, preventing them from saying too much ye.
- Rivian Taps Outdoor Adventurers for Electric Vehicles: I’ve covered the Rivian electric vehicles closely ever since I was lucky enough to be on hand when they made their first public appearance. Now, more than a year and a half later, the company is in pre-order mode with a launch coming in early 2021. To get us hyped for these adventure-purposed vehicles, it is enlisting some help from some outdoor athletes.
- Dirty Kanza Virtual Ad Astra Edition: This weekend was suppose to be the Dirty Kanza gravel bike race, but thanks to the coronavirus, the event has been postponed until September. But, race organizers are holding a virtual event called the “Ad Astra” edition this weekend for those looking to still participate.
That’s all for this week. Have a great weekend and I’ll be back on Monday.
- Gear Review: The Xero Scrambler Mid is an Ultralight Hiking Shoe for Spring - March 1, 2023
- Gear Review: Yeti Roadie 48 Wheeled Cooler - August 18, 2022
- Kristin Harila Continues Pursuit of 8000-Meter Speed Record - August 16, 2022