Every Friday I try to share a few interesting and unique stories from the outdoor and exploration space that you may have missed elsewhere. I call these my “Adventure Quickies” as they are short, to the point, and relevant to the passions that we all share. That includes, interesting expeditions, travel deals, gear reviews and deals, and more. Essentially, this post is a place for me to share all of the things I didn’t have time to get to elsewhere over the past few days. With all of tha tin mind, here are a few things you should have on your radar.
• Doug Scott is Making One Final Everest Ascent: Back in March, climbing legend Doug Scott was diagnosed with cerebral lymphoma and has been struggling with his health ever since. That isn’t stopping him from taking part in the 2020 Everest Challenge, which tasks the rest of us to climb our stairs enough times to reach the summit of the 8848-meter peak. This so-called “Everesting” endeavor was launched by Scott, along with Sir Chris Bonington and Paul Braithwaite to commemorate their historic ascent of the world’s tallest peak back in 1975, opening up a new era in high allude mountaineering in the process.
• 2020 Piolet d’Or Winners Announced: Sometimes referred to as the “Oscars of mountaineering,” the Piolet d’Ors are handed out on an annual basis to climbers who have pushed the boundaries of alpinism in some unique and exciting ways. This year’s winners were just announced, and ExWe has the compete rundown.
• Bison Fight Creates Yellowstone Traffic Jam: Anyone who has ever visited Yellowstone National Park has probably experienced a “bison jam.” That’s what happens when one of the massive creatures decides to walk down the road and doesn’t care if it causes traffic to back-up behind it. But this week, two large males took to fighting over a mate, creating an entirely different kind of traffic stoppage.
• Summer Arctic Sea Ice Could be Gone by 2035: Sobering news from National Geographic this week, which has a report that says that the Arctic Ocean could be free of ice during the summer months as soon as 2035.
• REI To Sell Seattle Headquarters: In somewhat of a surprise move this week, outdoor gear retailer REI announced that it is selling its newly-completed (and unused!) corporate campus and will begin looking for buyers as it shifts to a more decentralized approach to how the company works. With the pandemic continuing to stretch on, the plan is to embrace the mobile work culture.
• Join Gordon Ramsey on a New Travel Show: World-famous chef Gordon Ramsey is casting for a new adventure travel show and is looking for young men and women to try out. How young you ask? The show is seeking 16-21 years to join Ramsey on this new show, which is set to air on a “major network.” If you’re interested, and meet the requirements, find out more at YoungAdventureCasting.tv. Good luck!
That’s all for this week. More to come next Friday!
- COVID-19 Is Killing Elephants in Southeast Asia - November 29, 2020
- Last Surviving Member of 1953 Everest Expedition Passes Away - November 24, 2020
- Make a Virtual Kilimanjaro Climb to Support Tanzanian Porters - November 17, 2020