Every Friday I try to wrap up the week with some news from the world of adventure, travel, and outdoor gear that I didn’t have the time or space to cover elsewhere. I call these stories “Adventure Quickies” and they usually involve just a brief explanation and a link to find out more. Here are a few things you may have missed recently.
- NASA Searches for New Astronauts: Looking to make a career change? Always wanted to shoot for the stars? Then, you’re in luck. Because NASA has begun accepting applications for it’s next astronaut class, which could be the one that returns to the moon or goes on to Mars. Applications are available here, but you’ll want to hurry. The deadline for submitting your resume is March 31. Benefits include a salary that starts at $104,898 per year, although some travel is required.
- New Ford Bronco Leaks Online: One of the most eagerly anticipated new adventure vehicles scheduled to make its debut this year is the revived Ford Bronco. The car manufacturer announced the return of this legendary off-roader a couple of years back, but details have been few since then. Now, ahead of its April debut, a few photos of the 21st century Bronco and Bronco Sport have leaked online and Gear Junkie has the lowdown. What do you think? I like it! Where can I get one?
- Meet the Crowdfunded Backpack at the Center of a Federal Investigation: Crowdfunding has become a popular way to get new products off the ground and is now frequently used by companies in the outdoor space. But sometimes those projects can go awry, creating some seriously crazy situations. Such was the case with the iBackpack, which is now at the center of a federal investigation.
- The North Face Opens 2020 Explorer Grants: Each year, The North Face hands out thousands of dollars to worthy project and nonprofits in the outdoor space. The company calls this initiative the Explorer Grants, and the 2020 edition is now accepting applications. To find out the eligibility requirements and to apply yourself, click here.
- How Explorers and Mountaineers Deal with “Survivor’s Guilt”: This story is from a few weeks back but I’ve still wanted to share it. It comes our way via the New Yorker and is a really thoughtful piece on something called “survivor’s guilt.” This is a condition that those who come home from an expedition face when someone on that same expedition, perhaps even a friend or family member, loses their life. It can bring on a powerful sense of grief and despair, as someone like Conrad Anker—who is quoted in the story—knows well. Read the article here.
- How to Make a Living as an Adventurer: One of the great questions that those who live and breathe adventure often face is how they can make a living doing the things they love. That isn’t easy, and it can often be an uphill battle, but believe it or not, there are ways to not only survive, but thrive, as an explorer or adventurer. To help sort them out, Explorers Web has put together this handy guide.
- Everything You Need to Know About COVID-19/Coronavirus: This is a fast moving and changing time in all of our lives, with a lot of misinformation, half-truths, and wildly inaccurate data being shared. If you want to get some real, hard facts about the coronavirus—officially dubbed COVID-19—then this is as good of a link as I’ve come across so far. There is a lot to digest here, but you’ll know a lot more once you’ve gone through it.
That’s it for this week. Stay safe and healthy everyone!
- The Sylvansport Electric RV is the Motorhome of Our Dreams - September 14, 2021
- Nepali Climbers Open New Trekking Route on Mt. Kilimanjaro - September 9, 2021
- Will the iPhone 13 Double as a Satellite Phone? - September 7, 2021