Everest 2009: Summit Bids Off For Now!

Just a quick update on the situation on Everest, where a number of teams set off on their summit bids yesterday with an eye on topping out on Tuesday, the 12th. Those teams are now either back in Base Camp or descending the mountain as we speak thanks to high winds and generally poor weather conditions up on the mountain.

Teams like IMG and First Ascent are planning on staying in BC for now to rest and prepare for the next attempt, which is likely not to come until the middle of the week at this point. First Ascent reevaluates their plans in the video below.

Be sure to check out Alan Arnette’s Everest 2009 Page for regular updates. Alan is doing an amazing job of keeping up with everything that is going on on the mountain and is posting news and his own personal insights on a regular basis.

Stay tuned. This is just a slight delay. There will be plenty of news soon enough.

5 thoughts on “Everest 2009: Summit Bids Off For Now!”

  1. Just heard that a couple of IMG clients are staying at C2 waiting for good weather – there are 4 Sherpas with them … resiting saying the obvious …

  2. Seems like they want to be in the best position possible for when the weather window opens again. Any word if the Discovery crew is with them too? It would probably make for compelling footage.

  3. word is that the weather is turning much worse now and most teams are wondering why anyone would be above BC.

    But yes, I bet there is a DC camera there – could have been a passive influence on the guys who stayed but maybe not. Once you get to this point, it is really hard.

    My only hope is for these guys and the Sherpas to be safe.

  4. Agreed. Hope they are safe as well. It would not be fun having to go down to BC in those conditions, especially with the Icefall to cross.

    And I wondered if there was any influence from DC as well, passive or otherwise.

Comments are closed.